Fighting the fat is not a fad diet.

Well, I thought I would focus a post this week on my weight loss and how I came about finally changing my eating habits. 
It finally hit me after I saw the photographs that were taken on christmas day 2013, I was over weight and not just slightly. I didn't really ever realise until then, well of course I knew I wasn't thin but I thought I was just a bit chubby nothing quite as bad as saw. 
So I decided to make a change and stick at it this time. I had joined slimming world three months previous and lost a measley half a stone in six weeks then gave up because I thought I was done (my heart and head just weren't in the game) anyways, so the end of January, I jumped back on the slimming world train and I have been so focused since. 
When I joined slimming world for the second and final time I knew this time I really had to work for what I want, get my head in the game and focus. I joined a completely new group and started a fresh with a new weigh in log book. I was nervous about jumping on the scales again and low and behold, I had gained that half a stone I had lost the previous three months before but i was totally expecting that.
My first weigh in and starting weight was 12stone 5 and a half pounds (that half makes all the difference) I remember being so disgusted in myself. I had never been big as a child or teenager. Then when I was 18 and moved to Brighton, I piled the weight on. I think it was a mixture of the home sickness, nights out and kebabs on the way home. 
The reason I chose to join Slimming world was because it is a life style change, it teaches you knew eating habits and shows you how to have a balanced diet. You deny yourself nothing. If you want a chocolate bar, you can have a chocolate bar. It really does work. 
Since joining the end of January, three months ago (12 weeks) I have lost 1 and a half stone. I still have a long way to go but I can confidently say I have finally changed how I look at food. Before I started I used to constantly snack, drink loads of fizzy drinks and always have a chocolate bar before bed. But now I only eat my meals, I have breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't snack anymore or have any late night snacks, i try not to eat after 8pm either. I stick to drinking sugar free squash or just water, if i fancy a fizzy drink I stick with coke zero but I don't drink a lot, it is more a once a week thing. I have also cut down my sugar in take in tea to no sugar what so ever, which I never thought I would be able to do but I have not only noticed a difference in my weight loss but also in my teeth. They used to be sensative but now they are starting to feel better with cold water. 

I find it incredible that it is all about your minds set. If you want to lose weight, then you will lose weight. It is down to noone else, just yourself. Just changing little things, like how you cook or prepare meals. There are a few things I cannot live without now in the kitchen and they are; 
Herbs and spices. These make any meal tasy and full of flavour. My favourites are;
Mixed herbs - it makes any bland home made soup into the tastiest soup you can imagine. I go through so much of this because I make quite a lot lf soup. It doesn't matter what veg you have, you can make a great soup with it. Even if you have frozen veg, you can always put that in a soup too, it is just as healthy and tasty. 
Classic BBQ - I add this to the slimming world bbq sauce recipes for added bbq flavour. Plus it is perfect for seasoning meats if you want a quick and easy meal with loads of flavour. 
Curry powder - I make the most amazing (if I do say so myself) chick pea curry. It is so full of flavour and is completely syn free. It is two table spoons of curry powder, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a red onion, a tin of chick peas and half a pint of water. Fry the onions first, then add the tomatoes, chick peas, curry powder and water then leave to simmer - stiring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Pure perfection which I usually serve with greens and rice. 
Chilli flakes - because everything needs a bit of spice. 
Moving on to this bottle of perfection will make you feel like you are eating everything naughty but in fact you're not. It is amazing and completely syn free. It is a healthier option to sunflower oil, veg oil and butter. You can use it for frying or roasting. I cannot live without chips, I love chips and this is the stuff that helps me with my chip cravings. Slimming world chips are completely syn free, you can have as many as you like/can eat. To make these bad boys is so easy too, all you need to do is cut potatoes, put them in a microwavable bowl and put them on full power for about 5 minutes (this knocks out the part boil bit which takes far too long for my liking) then once they are done put them on an oven proof tray, spray with fry light then put them in the oven on 220 for around 20 minutes. They are so quick and easy and are the best tasting chips you will ever have. 
Finally, balsamic vinegar, it is perfect for a side salad and is completely syn free unlike most other salad dressings. It really does wake your taste buds up to that salad when you have been eating salad for what feels like forever. Plus is is one of the ingredients to slimming world syn free bbq sauce. 

Even if you are a fussy eater you can do slimming world, they have such an amazing recipe selection. They have altered recipes for almost every meal or pudding you could imagine. You're probably thinking, this girl is insane - but it is true. I try to do a new recipe every week and there is so much range. 
Some of my favourite recipes that are completely syn free (which is the best kind of meal) are; slimming world pulled pork (i add extra bbq seasoning to the sauce and it is to die for), slimming world babybel burgers, slimming world chilli con carne (super easy and quick) and slimming world cottage pie made with quorn mince. When you're eating any of these meals you feel like you're being really naughty, not eating healthy or potentially losing weight. I really do feel like slimming world is not just a diet, it is not someing you do for a quick weight loss before a holiday, it is some thing to do to change how you see and cook food. And if you're not a very good cook, all the recipes are so straight forward it is unreal. I find that the recipes are the best way to teach yourself how to cook and not just cook, but to cook healthily for yourself, your partner and even your family, even if they are not doing slimming world they can still eat the meals. They are child friendly too. It is healthy hearty home cooked food and nothing more. 

Can't end this without posting a little before and now photo can I?
I still have a long way to go to my target weight but I love seeing the changes happen and it really does keep my head in the game and focused. 

If you're a slimming world member or just a healthy eater, send me a comment and tell me your favourite healthy eating recipes or snacks. 

Vix 
Ox 





Vix Bayliss

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

10 comments:

  1. Well done on your amazing loss - you can really tell the difference, but most importantly I hope you feel better too. I did slimming world earlier on in the year and enjoyed it but found it hard to maintain cost wise after losing my job. Good luck on the rest of your journey. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to get back on it and do it for you! Be confident! I love slimming world it is fantastic. X

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! Well done you!! What a difference! You should be very proud!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still have a long way to go and have bad days (weeks) but I hope to get there soon enough! Xx

      Delete
  3. Green beans, soy sauce & sesame seeds in a frying pan - YUM. One of my best friends is a nutritionist & she taught me that when we were cooking at hers. :) Try it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to try this! Thanks Nix! It sounds yummy and healthy., xxx

      Delete
  4. Wow well done! As soon as this baby is born in the next 2 weeks (hopefully!) I am back onto my weight loss journey. I'm much much bigger than you but it's still really great to see your results. Shows that we can do anything we put our mind to :)
    Carsonsmummy.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eee congratulations! Hope you are fabulous! Dont worry about your weightloss journey, concemtrate on you and your family! It can weight and you will get there! Thank you xxxx

      Delete
  5. I was reading your post and nodding my head in agreement to EVERYTHING! Oh it is so true that your head has to be in the game! I have done countless diets before, and only this time - with SW - am I finally getting the results I've always wanted.

    And look at your pics - AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad people relate to everything I have said and get it. They know its not a crash diet and it is just changing your life! Good for you on getting the results you want and keep at it. I love your blog! Xx

      Delete